The words “San Jose Moving” represent one of the most stressful things you will do in your lifetime. Whether you have hired a Professional Moving Company or are doing it yourself doesn’t matter. Everything you own being moved from one location to another. Whether you are moving cross-country or cross-town doesn’t matter either its equally as stressful. The key to it being less stressful is to be as organized as possible. Keeping a list is very helpful when you have so many things to do. Below is a checklist that you can use as a guideline for your list and can help get you started with your planning.
Local Moving Checklist:
6-8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Schedule Estimate with a San Jose Moving Company (if using)
- Reserve rental truck if moving yourself
- Change Address with Magazine Subscriptions & Credit Cards
- Fill out change of address information with Post Office
5-6 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Start sorting out unwanted items for donation, recycle, throw away or garage sale
- Start using up perishables foods
- Arrange for special transportation for your pets (if needed)
- Arrange daycare for children and pets for day of move (if needed)
3-4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Schedule Moving Company (if using). If you know the exact date soon than this book it! The sooner you schedule the better to ensure you get your preferred date.
- Hold a Garage Sale. Anything you don’t sell, donate to a local charity (do not put it back in your house).
- Stock up on Moving Boxes and packing materials (paper, tape)
- Contact Utility companies to schedule cut off and start new service
- TIP: Schedule disconnect for day after you move out and connect at new location day before moving day (PGE, Water/Garbage/Cable)
- Start Packing
1-2 Week Before Moving Day
- Clean Lawn Mower & Gardening tool.
- Drain gas and oil from power equipment and motorcycles
- Schedule cleaning company to come on day of move
2-3 Days Before Moving Day
- Packing should be DONE
- Pack a box of essentials. Things you will need right away at new location
- Each person should pack an overnight bag of personal items.
- If applicable, schedule an appointment with the Landlord to look at your place to make arrangements for return of cleaning deposit
- Do a walk through after everything has been loaded into the truck but before the truck leaves to make sure you got everything. Check closets, cupboards, attic and backyard.
- Make sure all lights and remaining appliances are turned off
- Take out garbage
- Confirm with driver if using a Moving Company that they have unloaded address, cross street and your cell phone number.
Moving doesn’t have to be stressful. Remember it’s all in the planning.
- How was your last move?
- Did you plan ahead and were you packed and ready to go on moving day?
- Do you have any stories to share?